Urinary tract infection

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can affect different parts of your urinary tract, including your bladder (cystitis), urethra (urethritis) or kidneys (kidney infection).

Most UTIs can be easily treated with antibiotics.

Check if it's a urinary tract infection (UTI)

Symptoms of a UTI include:

    • needing to pee suddenly or more often than usual
    • pain or a burning sensation when peeing
    • smelly or cloudy pee
    • blood in your pee
    • pain in your lower tummy
    • feeling tired and unwell
    • in older people, changes in behaviour such as severe confusion or agitation


UTI symptoms may be difficult to spot in people with dementia.

Children with UTIs may also:

    • appear generally unwell – babies may be irritable, not feed properly and have a high temperature of 37.5C or above
    • wet the bed or wet themselves
    • deliberately hold in their pee because it stings

Contact the Surgery if:

    • you're a man with symptoms of a UTI
    • you're pregnant and have symptoms of a UTI
    • your child has symptoms of a UTI
    • you're caring for someone elderly who may have a UTI
    • you have not had a UTI before
    • you have blood in your pee
    • your symptoms do not improve within a few days
    • your symptoms come back after treatment

Please contact the surgery on 01423 322309. You may be asked a few questions by the receptionist, this is to ensure that you see / speak to the appropriate member of the clinical team.

Please do not drop in urine samples for testing unless they have been specifically requested by either a GP or Nurse.

If you have symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection (STI), you can also get treatment from a sexual health clinic.

Find a sexual health clinic

Urgent advice: Get advice from 111 now if you have:

    • pain in your sides or lower back
    • a very high temperature or you feel hot and shivery
    • felt sick or been sick
    • diarrhoea

These symptoms suggest a kidney infection, which can be serious if it's not treated.

111 will tell you what to do. They can arrange a phone call from a nurse or doctor if you need one.

Go to 111.nhs.uk or call 111.

Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let
Watkins Wright Hair & Beauty Isobel Somerfield